Nov. 19, 2020 — As COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations of proceed to speed up within the U.S., the CDC on Thursday bluntly suggested Individuals to not journey for the Thanksgiving vacation.
“Amid this important section, the CDC is recommending in opposition to journey in the course of the Thanksgiving interval,” mentioned Henry Walke, MD, COVID-19 incident supervisor, on a name with reporters.
Walke mentioned all types of journey are dangerous.
“What we’re involved about is just not solely the precise mode of journey — whether or not it’s an airplane or bus or automotive — but in addition the transportation hubs we’re involved about, as effectively.”
Standing in line to get on airplane, bus, or prepare makes it more durable to maintain house between your self and different folks.
With instances already climbing at alarming charges, CDC officers mentioned they had been involved that the vacations might additional drive up instances and deaths, notably for older relations.
“The most secure technique to have a good time Thanksgiving this 12 months is at house with members of your family,” mentioned Erin Sauber-Schatz, PhD, head of the CDC’s Group Interventions and important Populations Activity Drive, in accordance with TheNew York Occasions.
The company launched up to date Thanksgiving steering as effectively, that strengthens its earlier warnings in regards to the upcoming vacation.
“Gatherings with household and mates who don’t stay with you possibly can enhance the possibilities of getting or spreading COVID-19 or the flu,” the steering says. “Journey might enhance your likelihood of getting and spreading COVID-19. Suspending journey and staying house is one of the simplest ways to guard your self and others this 12 months.”
Should you’re nonetheless contemplating touring or gathering with different folks, the CDC suggests answering these questions first:
- Are you, somebody in your family, or somebody you can be visiting at elevated threat for getting very sick from COVID-19?
- Are instances excessive or rising in your neighborhood or your vacation spot? Test the CDC’s COVID Information Tracker for the newest variety of instances.
- Are hospitals in your neighborhood or your vacation spot overwhelmed with sufferers who’ve COVID-19? To seek out out, verify state and native public well being division web sites.
- Does your own home or vacation spot have necessities or restrictions for vacationers? Test state and native necessities earlier than you journey.
- In the course of the 14 days earlier than your journey, have you ever or these you might be visiting had shut contact with folks they don’t stay with?
- Do your plans embody touring by bus, prepare, or air, which could make staying 6 toes aside tough?
- Are you touring with individuals who don’t stay with you?
Should you answered “sure” to any of those questions, the CDC suggests making different plans: Keep house, host a “digital” Thanksgiving, or postpone it till one other time.