Sheriff: Teenage Boy Concerned in Shootings To Be Accused As Adult – Information – Houma At the moment

0
76

Dan Copp @DanVCopp


A Houma teenager who was involved in a robbery and shooting earlier this month will be charged as an adult, authorities said.

The 16-year-old Belvin Joseph Ross is charged with attempted first degree murder and armed robbery, the Terrebonne sheriff’s office said.

The teenager was arrested in connection with a shooting incident that took place on April 6 at the 600 block on Oakshire Drive. Ross was one of two teenagers charged with the incident.

MPs were called to the 300 block of Oakshire Drive at around 12:52 am after a 14-year-old boy was gunshot. The victim was taken to an out-of-town hospital where she was in grave condition.

Detectives later discovered the victim and other youths broke unlocked vehicles in the Oakshire neighborhood while stealing a gun, the sheriff’s office said. An argument broke out between two teenagers over the gun, which led to the shooting.

First Assistant District Attorney Jason Dagate said the teenager would be charged as an adult on the gravity of the alleged crime.

“Because of the gravity of this case and the information we received from law enforcement agencies, we have determined the need to take this matter to the district court,” Dagate said. “So we submitted an information list indicting the accused of attempted first degree murder and armed robbery with a dangerous weapon, which automatically transferred jurisdiction.”

Ross’ next trial is scheduled for May 19 in District Judge Randy Bethancourt’s courtroom. He was sent to Terrebonne Township Prison on a $ 250,000 loan.

The sheriff’s office said there are still charges pending against the 15-year-old.

– Staff writer Dan Copp can be reached at 446-7639 or at da[email protected] Follow him on Twitter @DanVCopp.